Trust us, we understand that it’s hard to stay focused when the end of summer is right around the corner and you want to enjoy every last second of it. On the down side, this means it’s impacting your studying for your state cosmetology exam. If you’re in a rut to study here are some quick tips and a cosmetology practice test to help kick start your brain into study mode.
Understanding Your State Cosmetology Exam
As we say time and time again, it’s imperative to understand the content outline of your state exam. This will help you understand how many cosmetology test questions are in each area and how you should allocate your time accordingly. Many state cosmetology exams contain around 40 questions on hair services and care, 30 questions on scientific concepts, 15 on skin care and services, and 15 on nail care and services. Check with your state cosmetology board to verify this information.
This means that even if your goal is to become a nail technician, there will be more cosmetology questions on hair and skin care than nail care. Chances are you haven’t allocated enough time studying those materials and procedures so you’ll need a cosmetology study guide that will help you study for all three (like Salon Prep).
If you are enrolled in Salon Prep, congratulations! You have taken the first step towards mastering all of the subjects that will be covered on your cosmetology exam. If you’re not enrolled in Salon Prep, check the cosmetology practice test below to see how Salon Prep can help you.
Sample Cosmetology Practice Test
1. What are the four basic haircuts?
- Blunt, graduated, layered, and short-layered
- Graduated, weighted, layered, and long-layered
- Blunt, graduated, layered, and long-layered.
- Graduated, layered, textured, and blunt.
2. How many degrees of decolorization are there?
3. The practitioner observes viable nits attached to the hair shaft. A nonprescription medication is recommended. What parasitic infection is described by these symptoms?
4. Approximately what percentage of extrinsic skin aging is caused by sun damage?
5. The body’s first line of defense against infection is
- the lymphatic system
- unbroken skin
- the cardiovascular system
- pus and scabs
6. What is the main ingredient found in an acid wave?
- Sodium bromate
- Glycerol monothioglycolate
- Hydrogen peroxide
7. Acrylic powder contains which two of the three ingredients of the acrylic nail process?
- monomer and catalyst
- It only contains one ingredient
- Monomer and Polymer
- Polymer and catalyst
If you didn’t feel confident about even one of your answers to these cosmetology practice test questions, chances are you need a program like Salon Prep. Salon Prep will help you prepare for all subjects through individual courses and then through final cosmetology practice tests that mimic the state board exams.